Micah 6 v 8

He has showed you, O man, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Monday 4 April 2011

10 Reasons Why You Should Go To Church - Part 1

So this week, due to a car breaking down, I didn't make it to church...Gutted. It's got me thinking about the biblical reasons why we should go to church and the benefits that come from doing so. As a pre-requisite I would like to stress that obviously going to church alone does not make you a christian.


 The only way to become a christian is by accepting that you have sinned and are destined to an eternity facing the righteous judgement of God and there's nothing you can do about it in your own strength. Following this you need to realise that God sent his one son Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life on this earth, never thinking a wrong thought or doing a wrong action. Jesus was crucified like a criminal, like the lowest of the low being whipped beaten spat on and humiliated. On top of this he faced the punishment of his own Father turning away from him. Why? all because he died and took our sin on the cross. Then Jesus conquered death, defeated satan and now if you say sorry (truly) for your sin and ask for forgiveness (which results in you desiring to please God on this earth and follow his commands and instructions for life) then you will be accepted as a child of God and will have a citizenship in Heaven.


Thats a big pre-requisite but, its important. So I suppose the next 10 points are aimed at those who are already christians but even if you aren't a christian feel free to keep on reading :). Here are the first 4. The next 6 will appear in a couple of days. 


1. Corporate Public Worship.
    The Bible talks so much about people worshipping together. I believe that there is something special about worshipping together as many Christians gather with one sole purpose, to glorify God. The Psalms back this up. 


Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker - Psalm 95 v 6
Exalt the LORD our God and worship at his holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy. - Psalm 99 v 9
Let us go to His dwelling place, let us worship at His footstool - Psalm 132 v 7


It talks so much about us (plural) coming to worship God. So this is what God desires on top of our daily personal worship.


2. A Reminder of The Gospel.
     When we come to worship, it is such a visual description of the gospel at work. For we are all sinners, unworthy to approach the throne of God in worship but, because of the blood of Jesus we are cleansed and granted access to glorify and magnify our Maker!


Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. - Romans 5 v 1 & 2


3. Deeper Biblical Knowledge.
     One of the best reasons to come to church is that you get to hear the bible opened and explained by those who are blessed with better biblical insight than you. God has given wisdom to your pastors, elders and christians further on in their walk with God so that you can learn from them. The bible tells us that being instructed builds up the church which can never be a bad thing!


When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. - 1 Corinthians 14 v 26


4. Deeper Relationships
As christians we should love each other. The only way we increase our love for each other is getting to know each other more. Jesus said...


 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." -  John 15 v 9 -12


Notice how when we love others, it doesn't just benefit them but it also benefits us. Jesus tells us when we love our "Joy may be complete". When we give we also receive, thats how good God is.


Well I hope that's useful for you. I've definitely enjoyed thinking about it. Next 6 points will be up within the next two days. God bless you all.

2 comments:

Rhoda said...

Great post, and sorry about your car breaking down :( I hate missing church!

Unknown said...

Thanks Rhoda. I felt so awful. And I hate missing church too but it really got me thinking about how many good reasons there are to go. Makes you appreciate it more I think. Clint was so kind too, ringing me.