Micah 6 v 8

He has showed you, O man, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Wednesday 27 April 2011

5 Reasons to Read the Bible.

Recently, I've found myself having really blessed and great personal worship with God. These times always focus around the Bible. Usually I read two or three Psalms followed by an old testament chapter with commentary (currently I'm in Micah) and then a new testament chapter followed by meditation on it and then writing down my thoughts. After this I go through my prayer diary and finish off with singing some songs.


The Bible is central to the active christians faith. Tozer said that "The Word of God well understood and religiously obeyed is the shortest route to spiritual perfection. And we must not select a few favorite passages to the exclusion of others. Nothing less than a whole Bible can make a whole Christian." But why is this the case? What's the reason to read the bible? Well there are many but here are five main points why I think it's important to read the bible.

1. A Closer Walk

The strength and standing of a christian is based on the strength of their relationship with God. To have a great relationship with someone then you must spend time with them, find out about them and find out what they are like. You need to find out what makes them happy, what disappoints them and what they expect from you. It is exactly the same with our relationship with God. He has given us all the information we need to know about him in the bible. The bible tells us that God hates sin. It also tells us in Exodus 34:14 that he is a "Jealous God", In Numbers 14:18 God is "slow to anger, abounding in love" but that he also "does not leave the guilty unpunished". God clearly tells the christian what he wants from them in my favourite verse, Micah 5:8 "And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Or as a famous hymn writer said... 


O for a closer walk with God
A calm and heavn'ly frame
A light that shines upon the road
That leads me to the Lamb

2. A Deeper Knowledge
Without reading the bible (the WHOLE of the bible) we will leave out characteristics of God and therefore not understand him as much as we can on earth. It is true that we will never ever fully understand God but this does not mean we become complaicant and apathetic towards knowing him. It means we should strive to know him as much as we can to please him. This can be done through the diligent and disciplined study of Gods word. David said "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you" Psalm 119:11. It is worth recognising that in the bible, fear of God and knowledge go hand in hand with each other. Proverbs 2:4-6 says "and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD  and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."


3. An Effective Ministry
If you have a closer walk with God and a deeper knowledge of his Word then you will be more able in your service to others. When people come to you with problems or issues, a closeness to God and a familiarity with his word will enable you to recall scripture better and effectively and biblically help the person who seeks your advice. So often I know I've given bad advice to a brother or sister in Christ when my daily reading is suffering and I am far from God. I believe that when we are closer to God, we understand his heart more and therefore can give people better advice and support which is more in tune with Gods heart.


4. A Shining Light
When we have an effective ministry, we shine Christ much more in our lives. When we are closer to God it reflects in the living out of our daily lives. As people see this in our lives, some will despise you but some will crave after what you have. This in turn will turn people to seek after God and come to know him. Jesus calls us to be salt of the earth, a city on a hill and a shining light. He also promises that when we do this, others "may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16


6. A Constant Reminder
As a christian, the bible is a constant reminder of so many things. It reminds me that I am a sinner. Romans 3:23 tells me that "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God". This makes me weep, it makes me realise that even today the wrong that I have done offends God it upsets him. However, the very next verse reminds me that Christ has already paid the debt that I owed to God, so that I can have a relationship with him "and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus" Romans 3:24. The bible reminds me constantly of my need for Jesus. It reminds me to confess my sin to God daily and also reminds me that daily I receive forgiveness "Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin." Psalm 32:5. The best part is that the bible reminds me that I have a home, secured in heaven. A guaranteed citizenship on the golden shores of God's paradise, a place where peace and justice reign. A land where there "There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain" Revelation 21:4. Hallelujah! Praise Jesus for all he has done!


All to Jesus I surrender;
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name!

No comments: