Micah 6 v 8

He has showed you, O man, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Wednesday 6 April 2011

10 Reasons Why You Should Go To Church - Part 2

Ok well the last post I put up has had the highest number of hits of any posts I've done so far so here is Part 2. Hope you guys enjoy!


5. To Encourage and Be Encouraged
    One of the things I always take away from being in church is the encouragement it brings! Being surrounded by fellow brothers and sisters worshipping and praying out to God as well as Gods word being explained. Its such a great time. It's also a time when, whether we realise it or not, we encourage others just by being there and also more specifically when we pray or discuss things with them.


encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. - 1 Thessalonians 5 v11


6. Unity in the Gospel
    In one single church you will have different people with different views on various topics. There will be a difference of opinion on areas such as gifts of the spirit, prophecy, music and bible versions but as each member stands and sings or prays, we show a unity in the Gospel which saved us! Paul encourage us to keep this unity


Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called - Ephesians 4 v 2-4.


7. Preparation For Heaven
       It is true that God called us and saved us as individuals, but we are also called us (plural) to be His people. We are citizens of Heaven and children of the King and when we worship in Heaven, it will be a corporate event as much as an individual event. Even though church is the faintest of shadows to what Heaven will be like, it is still a glimpse into the glory that awaits us.


After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice:
“Salvation belongs to our God, 
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.” - Revelation 7 v 9 & 10




8. Correction and Conviction
     I know that personally, I am rubbish at rebuking and correcting myself. If I know there's a particular ongoing sin in my life, I make sure it doesn't come up in my daily reading. So often when I go to church or home group, I feel convicted of something that I need to change in my life. God uses other people in our lives to help us along the path to righteousness. This includes correction.


Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid. - Proverbs 12 v 1


9. Servanthood 
    To be a servant is to have the mind of Christ. The best place we can serve is in church. There are so many different areas like meet and greet, setting up, setting down, audio-visual, worship, kids church, tea and coffee, leading a discussion group, offering lifts to those without transport along with many others. Church is a great place to serve.


He (Christ Jesus) made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant - Philippians 2 v 7


10. To Glorify God
     As much as this is the last point, it is definitely the biggest priority for us to do not only in church, but in the whole of our lives. God is a jealous God, jealous for His own glory. This does not make God wrong or sinful. He is our creator and our sustainer and he alone is worthy of all glory and all honour. No glory should go to anyone or anything else and we should reflect this when we go to church. To glorify God should be the one desire on our heart.


Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. - Exodus 34 v 14


One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. - Psalm 27 v 4


I really missed my church this week, but God obviously wanted to give me a wake-up call in learning to appreciate my church family more. I hope you've found these two posts useful in your own life. Perhaps you've been wavering in your church attendance. Maybe you've been hopping from church to church. Can I encourage you to find and settle into a good bible based, God centered, Christ focussed church quickly and, commit yourself to them as part of your life dedicated to God.


God Bless You

No comments: